Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

'Junk Journaling' is a thing?

I spent a lot of money on magazines as a kid - Teen, YM, and Seventeen in middle school, and later Rolling Stone and Cosmopolitan. I then spent a lot of time plastering notebooks and poster boards with magazine and newspaper clippings, funky paper, and random bits and bobs.

I didn’t know ‘smash books’, ‘junk journals’, and the like were a thing until a few years ago, but I immediately remembered all the time I spent sitting on my bedroom floor, CD changer blaring, surrounded by assorted materials, and creating what I thought were epic collages.

During the early days of the pandemic, I decided to see if I would have as much fun noodling around and making a mess with stuff bound for the recycling bin. So far, it's certainly helped pass the time when insomnia hits, butI fear my artistic instincts have atrophied in the last couple of decades.

I slapped this clipping down without thinking and found the word ‘linger’ and knew I had to use it for this (unfinished) page. It totally reminded me of listening to Dolores O'Riordan + bandmates playing on the local college radio station when I should have been doing homework.




No comments:

Post a Comment